Sunday, March 9, 2008

Miles' Europe Travel Tips.

First off, it must be noted that its taken almost a full week for my body to re-adjust to Central Standard Time. I got back into town last Sunday night (although I was convinced our plane was going to crash amongst the crappy KC weather), and was back at work less than 12 hours later. By Wednesday, the room around me stopped spinning. By Friday, I was able to stay awake past 9pm.

During my trip I had been thinking about what to post about what wisdom I would impart to those planning their European vacation, or even my return trip with Wendy here in about 15-20 years (when the kids are out of the house, or we have the money, whichever comes first). So here goes:

-Plan at least three full days of sightseeing in a large city. If you are going to just go to one city during your vacation, spend the extra day. I mean what's the difference between spending $5,000 on a 5 day vacation and $6,000 on a 6 day vacation? The extra memories.

-Just getting around a big city, you could easily spend $200 a day. That factors in food, sightseeing, transportation, exchange rate. If you are able to drop that kind of dime, then be selective about what you want to do on the cheap. If you can find a local supermarket, you can dodge a few meals on the cheap, but go out for a nice dinner from time to time.

-Look into public transportation. i.e., bus routes, subways. You can only walk so far in a given day and if you want to be able to enjoy sights w/o your legs falling off, look in advance into what public transportation options are available. Most subways have day passes for tourists. Take advantage. You can do a sightseeing tour, and its a good way to get some info but you only need to do it once.

-PACK. LIGHT. You will be lugging your shit all over hell-and-gone (unless you want to get ripped off by a taxi) and you don't want to be hauling 75lbs. worth of clothes. Believe me.

-Don't dress like a bum. On travel days, be comfy. But while in the big city, try not to look too obvious. Jeans are Ok almost everywhere. Nice shirt, nice jacket. Probably my Wal-Mart brand and 90's Fleece jacket was not the most fashion conscious thing I could have come up with.

-Scaffolding is everywhere. Just let it happen.

-It really helps to speak the native language of the country you are visiting. I know that pretty much everyone speaks English, but believe me. You feel really helpless when you don't know the language and everyone looks at you like you are the stupid American tourist.

-Map reading is also a very useful tool. Luckily for my sister, I am a map reading genius. If need be, you may have to get in the map in order to find your next destination. Also, prepared for the maps to not be 100% accurate.

-Don't be afraid to sample the local cuisine. I'm very proud of the fact that I did not have McDonald's once. In Italy, we ate at an Irish pub and had...pizza. In London, we did chicken and chips. In France, we had Asian food. And Crepes.
On that note, you may want to stock up on bottled water at a local grocer. It costs just as much as soda at a cafe, which is usually about $4.00.

-Get the REAL Coke, or Coca-Light (Diet Coke). The off brand stuff will make your ass bleed.

-Foreigners are very nice to you. They just hate your President:

That is all I have for now. Good luck and start hoping for a better economy!

3 comments:

Brady said...

Do you have any Kansas travel tips? I'll be taking a week vacation there next week.

Lord Bling said...

I can help you there (based on conversations with Miles).

1. Don't expect them to have any public transportation.

2. Don't expect their football teams to be any good.

HA!

Lord Bling said...

BTW, welcome back Miles. Good advice here. Eventually, when Mel and I go on an adventure across the pond, I'll take everything you've said into consideration.

And yes, I double-posted.