Saturday, March 1, 2008

The Rumours are True: I Have No Culture/Am Dead Inside.

I never did figure out what my calling is in life, but I know what my calling isn’t: An Art Historian. My sister is the Art person, I’m the government guy. House of Commons? I was completely enthralled, fascinated, excited. Katie seemed bored to death. Then again, we did wait forever. Today Katie and I maneuvered through the Musee d’Orsay (whose staffers were also on a photography strike), she was the one that was totally stoked as if it were Christmas Morning. I was happy, but just did not completely share her level of enthusiasm. My apologies to my Aunt, my mother, and pretty much the French.

I took a moment to rest and she went on to check out the Impressionists; in trying to find catch up with her, I noticed a dude standing in front of a painting just staring. As I passed by a few minutes later, he was still there, staring; analyzing every detail, ever brushstroke. I wondered if perhaps he was searching for something, kind of a Vincent Van Gogh Code, to which he will find that the power of God lies with Absinthe or something. I didn’t get it. I haven’t been able to be mesmerized by a single painting like that. I’m kind of the “look and wander” tourist. Even when we went to the Louvre, I really didn’t stop and stare too much. I had to fight the crowd to get to the Mona Lisa and the Venus De Milo, but I gave it its due time then left. Anyway, here are some pictures from the Musee d’Orsay. Please don’t ask me who the artists are, I’m not the Art person. I do know that there is a Monet (I’ve heard of him) and Seurat (him, too):



No comments: